Arts Research



Funding Guidelines
Application for Faculty Grants
Executive Committee

Must I apply to the Academic Senate COR in order to receive ARI Mini-Grant funds?

Yes, in order to be considered for ARI Mini-Grant funding you must ALSO apply for Faculty
Research Funds from the Academic Senate COR during its annual Spring call for proposals.

May I apply for an ARI MIni-Grant if I have received a Major Project Grant?

If you apply for a Major Collaborative Grant you MAY apply for a Mini-Grant.
If you are AWARDED an individual Major Project grant, you may NOT apply for a mini-grant.

May I apply for both a collaborative and an individual Major Project Grant in the same year?

Yes. Obviously the projects would be different. For example, there have been collaborative projects that are speakers' series. A person could head up such a collaboration and also apply for an individual major project grant.

How much should I budget for travel and per diem when applying for ARI funding?

A. The ARI allows 50% of the allowable reimbursement figures listed on the US State Department's website

How much funding is allowed by external agencies, and intramural UC funding groups for hotels, per diem and travel?

UC reimbursement rates for domestic research travel are posted at: For foreign research expense rates, see the State Department website for allowable daily reimbursement is a useful guidelines when budgeting for research travel expenses.

May I request an extension on my ARI grant expenditures? or change the use of my ARI grant funds?

Yes, you may request extensions or changes in the use of your grant allocation. But you must send an email request to the ARI, via Administrator Waters. In your request make sure you indicate the exact year, amount and type of grant for which you received funds. Also indicate as specifically as possible why you require the extension, or the change in use of funds. Your request will be assessed and you will be notified of permission (or asked for further explanation) within a brief time.

What if my research travel needs to start before the July 1 starting date for release of award funds?

As long as the proposed research trip extends past July 1 of the award year, faculty can request funds from ARI for the trip in this round of funding.