other: Class Materials
Music 80E: History
Dr. Karlton E. Hester
John Coltrane - Coltrane Legacy
Coltrane legacy [videorecording] / produced and directed by Burrill
Crohn ; a production of Jazz Images Inc.
Published: New York, N.Y. : Video Artists International, c1985.
UCSC Library Call No.: VT 888
- What do you notice about the musical
interaction between the performers in Coltrane's band?
- How does drummer Elvin Jones describe
the manner in which Coltrane communicated as a leader with the members of
- What happened to the ensemble's
musical style when Eric Dolphy joined the band?
- Was Coltrane aware the passage
of time and conscious of his surrounding environment when he performed?
- How did Miles Davis suggest to
Coltrane that he shorten his solos when the saxophonist said he did not know
how to bring his developing musical ideas to an end?
- Name 3 of the members of Coltrane's
- How would you characterize the
style of Coltrane's composition "Impressions"?
- Elvin Jones tells us that what
happened during one of the ensemble's performances at a particular matinee
- At the end of the film Elvin also
confides that he felt so strongly about his association with Coltrane that
he felt the saxophonist was an __________________.
- What effect does Coltrane's music
have on you?
of Global African Music